lifeaccordingtosusie

Thursday, January 04, 2007

New Work



My first experiment with Precious Metal Clay. Let's just say it wasn't the most pleasant experience. The clay dries out very very fast. Even armed with internet knowledge and a great book (The Art of Precious Metal Clay), I had a hard time working with it. So hard that I declared my dabbling in PMC short-lived. But...it took only a half hour in the kiln to cure--burn off the binder leaving behind almost pure silver. Cleaning the pieces up with my new Dremel was super quick. It took more time to assemble these earrings because I was hurrying and was jump-ring challenged. Now I am itching to use the rest of the clay. In fact, I dreamt about it last night. I know they're basic--but I love them!



I love this tiny dish! It's 4.25 inches square and was slumped on a mold I cut myself from fiber paper. I got this right from the Petra Kaiser fusing book. I got two slumpings out of the fiber paper. The second isn't as nice because the iridescent white is rough. If I was still enthralled with sushi, this would be the perfect dipping plate for wasabi and soy!



I love this bowl, too! It's 6.5" square and slumped into a new mold I got. You can't see the slope of the bowl, but it's pretty deep. You could eat some cereal out of this. Or maybe a salad. Or some ice cream!



I draped this business card holder over a kiln brick that came with my kiln. I had forgotten about them and when I remembered I rushed to drape something. It's really to deep for business cards so it's back to the drawing board. I have some fiber board that should make a great drape for something like this.

1 Comments:

  • At Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:23:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love the earrings. I've looked into the clay too, it looks really cool to do but that's as far as I got. The Fine Line in st. charels has classes I think. Love the glass work too. I like the bussiness card holder. I will be good when you start doing art and craft shoes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home