lifeaccordingtosusie

Friday, December 09, 2005

Artists' DNA

On an art quilting list whose digests I peruse, there is a discussion about a commercially famous artist. I think I read one of the posts (I picks and choose what I read by their titles in the digests) where someone says that this artist includes a piece of DNA with each piece. I'm not sure if they were being facetious, but it got me thinking.

I say...big whoo?! Who DOESN'T?!

I mean, when I make a quilt--doesn't matter what size or what technique--I'm sure there is some of my DNA involved somewhere. If I'm not stabbing myself while appliqueing or beading, I'm turning my head away while free motion quilting and catching my hands up in the needle mechanism on my machine. I'm sure some of this creates a little blood spillage.

I'm not talking pints, kids. I'm saying maybe a drop or a fraction of a drop gets into the materials.

And sweat...most of the time I'm on some sort of deadline. Whether self-imposed or very real, these deadlines create panic. Which in turn creates a little perspiration and I'm sure some of this gets on the quilts. Just a little. Again, fractions of droplets. I don't need to get out the dress shields or sop up liquid from the quilt surface. Still it's there.

It's not just quilting. What about knitting? Every time I move the yarn along my fingers, I am sure epideal cells (I don't know if this is the corect term, but it sounds like something I heard on CSI) stick themselves to the yarn and get knitted into the item.

My prayer socks for dear hubby, Jim? Filled with skin cells. It's winter. Things are dry. Skin sticks.

Let's not limit the discussion to solely my DNA. What about the DNA of every animal--human, canine and feline--living in this house? Don't DNA cells attach themselves to hair? Because there's hair everywhere. Yes, even in the things I knit. Look closely...that's not angora...that's Belvedere!!

I guess my point is: artist's DNA? Who cares. You get a part of my DNA and the DNA of my family and pets in everything I give away. Guess that makes it as valuable as something the commercial artist sells, right? Except mine is a one of a kind original.

Now get in line and wait for a limited edition. It might even have my DNA...

1 Comments:

  • At Sunday, December 11, 2005 12:15:00 AM, Blogger Felicity Grace said…

    Hi Susie, I'm going to disagree but I'm a nice person don't worry!! I think you answered it yourself when you say there is a bit of DNA in everything anyway. So why has this guy got to add some more? It really smacks of megalomania and I find it creepy but that said I'm on the other side of the world and I don't know all the details. I don't care about him, if he makes lots of money that's great but some of the things I hear about him (to do with religion, marketing etc) just don't feel right at all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home