lifeaccordingtosusie

Friday, October 14, 2005

Eek! October is Half Over!

How did this happen?! Yikes!

I don't know what I do all day, every day. Time seems to fly and I seem to get nothing done. Weird. This has to be a scientific phenomenon!

On Wednesday, October 5, I went to Wool and Company for a lace knitting seminar. It was interesting. And difficult. I think the hard part was being in the same room as twenty other women all muttering "knit...purl...yarn over..." in some demented nursery rhyme sing song round. I found a pattern on the internet for a lace shawl and am adapting it for a scarf. The traditional feather and fan pattern. So far it looks pretty cool! And the pattern is easy so I am not messing up much.

The seminar was taught by Myrna Stahlman and focused on faroese shawls. The shawls hug your body like no other shawl I've seen. I want to make one! But I'll start with the scarf first.

I'm continuing to work on my sweatshirt jacket. So far I have over ten hours invested in this thing. And, frankly, I'm not too wild about it so far. I finished the free motion quilting yesterday and need to go through and fix a few spots. Some places my bobbin thread went wonky so I'll just re-quilt over it.

I learn all about sewing needles this week and it really helped. On a yahoo list, Pirate Karen Cote recommends changing your needle with each new project and with every third bobbin. I did this and what a difference. The new needles make a big difference! I also learned from Pirate Owen Wolf explained that Singer needles are a touch longer than Schmetz needles and work ideally in Singer sewing machines. This whole conversation started when Pirate Steph explained how she almost took out an eye with a breaking needle! Safety glasses!

This past Wednesday I attended the monthly PAQA meeting. I was inspired to finish up some things. Namely the jacket. I also have the painted quilt tops I made earlier this year and they need to be quilted. I also have a paper pieced pattern that I created for a class I was to teach at a local quilt shop. That needs to be assembled and quilted. It feels good to stay home and sew all day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home