lifeaccordingtosusie

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Handmade Gifts

I avoid handmade gifts during the holidays.

My experience has been that people a) think you're cheap when you make something; b) don't appreciate the time and effort that went into the project; c) are glad to get something homemade so they can claim it as their's and pass it along (yes, this has happened).

I also am terrible with craft time management and always underestimate the actual time it takes to complete a project. An afghan? Oh, a week! Months later it still languishes. [Except for the one that has languished for years and years and would be very useful in this freezing cold weather!]

But I've perfected the mitten. I can do one in less than a day on double pointed needles. Quite an accomplishment for me. I take this as an indication that my knitting skills are getting better and better. My last pair of mittens took weeks.

I started making Jim a pair of mittens. He's always complaining about being cold. He can't find both leather gloves.

I picked up some wool ease in a really cool blue blend and started knitting the mittens with a pattern I found on-line. They were going so fast. Then I saw the dropped stitch in the ribbing. So I ripped them out and started over.

And I started over in a nice way. Not in one of those "god damn freakin' mitten....grrr...growl...snarl..." I remained loving and positive and started them over graciously. After all, I want them to be nearly perfect for the man I love.

I nearly finished the first mitten the first day. I left the top open so I could make sure it fit right. He tried it on and I finished the top. (On future mittens I need to make an adjustment to the top decreases because it does look too pointy! lol)

I started the thumb and it is giving me some fits. I've ripped it out twice. But I think I've got it...

Then the phone rings. My friend is calling to confirm lunch plans. Jim tells her "she's knitting me mittens...it would have been easier to buy them."

And it hits me! He's one of the people who don't appreciate or understand homemade gifts! He doesn't realize that while I am knitting these I am thinking kind and loving thoughts. I guess these are prayer mittens of a sort. But he doesn't get it.

When I ask him about it, he gets mad at me. Yes, he insults me and then acts like he is the victim. Later on he does apologize and I say the requisite, "that's alright" because I have to be the good girl.

But I can't help wondering if it really is alright? How can he not get it? The husband of a super crafter doesn't get it.

He's always telling me I should sell my things. Lots of people tell me that. But why would I believe they would sell if you don't even want them for free?! Or does he think I need to justify the time I spend doing these things and the money spent on supplies by bringing in some cash? Maybe he doesn't really think I do nice work...maybe he's tired of financially supporting Joann's, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Knit Picks, Nancy's Notions...

I still have the second mitten to knit after finishing the thumb on the first. I hope I can maintain the positive thoughts and energy. Or at least I hope every other thought isn't peppered with "freakin'...snarl...sneer..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home