lifeaccordingtosusie

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Buying moratorium




On a yahoo list I belong to, we've taken a vow to not purchase craft supplies in the month of January. The idea is to use what we have in our stash. To help us declutter and organize our work areas. Any amount of money spent on supplies during the month of January means an equal amount is donated to a charity--my chose charity will involve breast cancer.

Knowing I couldn't spend money on craft supplies is having several different affects on my psyche.

First, I went a little nuts in December gathering supplies. I was like a squirrel gathering nuts before the coldest winter in history. I mean, I didn't buy willy nilly. But I did gather quite a bit of 12x12 paper for scrapbooking. And some Sizzix dies. I am prepared to scrapbook this month.

Second, the thought of not being able to buy a craft supply makes me want to buy craft supplies. I'm starting to think what exactly defines an art supply. Is adhesive an art supply? Or a necessity of life? I have tons of paper and yarn and fabric...so I wouldn't buy any of that. But what about lace? Or thread? Are they supplies or necessities?! If you use it immediately, is it a supply?

Third, there is something almost liberating about not buying supplies this month. I keep thinking about the money I will save. Personally and in the family budget. I tend to buy without really thinking. Especially things on sale or clearance.

So I am scared about this task at hand. Will I make it to the end of the month? What will I do with all my extra time?!

I did yesterday's daily devotion...I took some black and white pictures of Jim and various animals. Today I tried altering some of the photos in photo shop elements and just couldn't do what I wanted. It was frustrating and I want to rip out my hair! lol The pictures are above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home